We have housed many disabled dogs in our years of doing rescue, rehabilitation and rehoming. I have much experience in the care and needs of animals that most would consider not worth it.
My home has been a haven for many ailing, disabled, senior and special needs dogs. I perform my care-taking duties as any hospice nurse would without too much emotion or feelings; simply provide what they need, keep them comfortable and happy, free from pain to the best of your ability.
Sally has been in two other homes than mine. I never quite considered her a family pet but a long-term foster dog; a dog I have had listed for adoption for no less than four years.
My fear-aggressive, fear-biting, food-aggressive, resource guarding terror on two legs lost her zest for life this morning following a recent food change and bought of dehydration. Incontinence in paralyzed dogs leads to loads of extra laundry, extra cleaning and constant care. Antibiotics are the norm due to the lack of the ability to empty their bladder completely. I am not unaware of these conditions. When I reply to the occasional inquiry about the want to provide her a home my normal response is the following:
Hi A and M.
Yes, she's still with us. This month is the anniversary of her rescue and she's been in my care for four years now.
Thanks for inquiring. Here's some recent pics
I've had a few inquiries over the years but most couldn't comprehend the care of a paralyzed dog until I spoke with them at length. She also has a typical Chorkie personality - she's not very nice to strangers, but does fine with her loved ones.
Here's a bit to read up on before we chat,
http://www.greatdogsite.com/hybrids/details/Chorkie/
http://www.handicappedpets.com/pet-care-articles/pet-bowel-a-urinary/19-bowel-management-in-incontinent-pets.html
Julie
> Subject: Sally
> From: @gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:10:10 -0700
> To: juliehernandez@
>
> Hi,
> I've been looking all over online for dogs with disabilities in San diego and I finally found Sally! I am soo happy! Is she still in need of a home?
Just yesterday she growled at the new puppy over her food bowl. Just yesterday she scooted across the carpet to my annoyance for the 100th time. Just yesterday I discussed how we were putting in new flooring so she could spend more time in the common areas of the home. Just yesterday I spoke of how she loves to be outdoors to play and sun but due to the weather conditions of winter, she must spend most of her time indoors. Just yesterday we were making plans that included this aggressive, non-family-member, long term foster dog. Just yesterday....
She left us quietly, without pain or obvious trauma. We got to look in her eyes to say goodbye and despite her horrific and tragic beginnings that lead to her aggression in our family she knew love.
With tears in my eyes I walked into the only room I have where I can be alone, the bathroom. I let myself cry for this dog I wouldn't claim as my own. My ten-year-old son said to me as I wrapped her body in a blanket "She's in a better place mom" as I tried to hide my tears. And my 14 year old, six inches taller than I came across the room to embrace me as I held him tightly through my tears and promised "No more disabled dogs. We can't do this anymore."
Rest in peace now Sally. You don't have to guard yourself from anyone anymore. There are no more kitties to bother you, you don't have to get in that wheelchair you hate so much anymore, you no longer have to guard your food. Those humans who left you for dead, paralyzed in that grove can no longer hurt you. And we, our family, will always love you.

“If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.” Jim Rohn







I'm so sorry Julie, I know how much she meant to you.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear it, but glad she had you and your family. Rest in peace tiny Sally xoxoxoxxo
ReplyDeleteYou gave her more life then she would have known. RIP Sally, take care of Fred for me.
ReplyDelete