Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"When ignorance gets started it knows no bounds." ~Will Rogers


Alex Kruk Photograph, www.alexkruk.com
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence." William Henry

When this comment was posted on my wall...
Julie...the show live with kelly and michael has a fb page. Go on and make a comment....she made a terrible comment about pit bulls today on her show. We all are leaving comments!!
...quite frankly my first response was "I'm not in the mood to deal with this."  That's what I thought in my head...  Some days I'm just too tired to fight.

After spending two peaceful, truly contented days, relaxing and free from the world's distractions I really didn't have it in me to fight.  But you know me, I can't not look.  Appalled at the influence.  Appalled by the ignorance.  Heartbroken, yet again, over ignorant, non-fact based, careless words.
"only gang bangers & thugs own them." Kelly Ripa
Why? Why today? Why now?  All I want to do is catch up and goof off on Facebook today, get my work done by posting my A Dog A Day, chat with my friends, play a little catchup from being offline for two days.


I didn't come with an off switch.  Not in regards to things that matter.

This one didn't so much anger me as it did sadden me.  Do people REALLY believe this stuff?  If they were neutral and didn't have an opinion, are they inclined to go with the opinion of a talk show host?

"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."~ Buddha

I actually cried over this.  October has been designated Pit Bull Awareness month and I'm all for it; combating ignorance due to stereotypes, educating about spaying/neutering and the plight of this doomed breed, enlightening through posts, images, quotes and pictures... TRYing, hoping, praying that someone might be swayed to join in the fight.  I honestly think that people don't care until it ends up on their doorstep.  Where are the Bulldog, Boxer, Mastiff owners?  Do they not realize that this affects their family pets?  Look at the case of Lennox.  It may be my job to address these matters, but it's also my passion and my curse.

I can't let things slide. I can't ignore. I can't. It hurts.

I'm sure people get sick of me ranting. I get tired of hearing myself.  How can you know and not care?  How DO you shut it off?

How do people not remember, and adore, Petey?

All I can do, is do what I do.  I can't save any more.  That part of my life is over.  The sad thing is you never feel joy for the dozens, possibly hundreds, you've saved because for every ONE, five-hundred-ninety-nine die that day.  Some give accolades for "doing my part" but this is one compliment I can't stomach... it's never enough when ignorant comments to thousands and thousands of ears hear it.  I just have one, small voice.
My children do not know the difference between a Poodle, a Labrador Retriever nor a Chihuahua. Dogs are dogs and "pit bulls" are dogs.  All deserving of kindness, loving homes, not death sentences en masse in shelters. 

I try (very hard) to maintain a professional composure when advocating against breed specific legislation, FOR spay/neuter and attempt to be informative and enlightening... when what I really wanted to post on Kelly Ripa's fan page wall was...












"A thousand words will not leave so deep an impression as one deed."~ Henrik Ibsen

I leave you with a sampling of the few, small deeds of my children.




No comments:

Post a Comment