You won't see a more vengeful, venomous train of thought that free flows from peoples' lips and/or fingertips than when interacting with people who work in the field of animal rescue... well maybe those that work in the field of child abuse - which I don't nor could I.Some of the most compassionate, kind, big-hearted people I have ever met have been as a result of my work as an animal rescuer. I have also met some of my worst enemies... people slinging mud to the point of slander, defamation and libel. If I didn't mind sleeping with one eye open I could live in a nicer home, much bigger than the one I reside in now, just from a few lawsuits I could have filed.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Mahatma Gandhi
But does that negate how we treat each other?
The vegans talk shit about the vegetarians. The vegetarians attack the meat-eaters. The animal welfare activists just plain hate people... it's hard not to with all that you see.
I'm sure I've been caught feeling vengeful, angry and frustrated at the plight of defenseless animals. I've also shown too much kindness and sympathy for sociopathic humans; in my relentless effort to "rescue" others I've blinded myself into becoming a victim. Not every one can be saved.
Are humans above animals? Are animals above humans? Posts like this are put on my wall regularly. They're upsetting of course and I sign all the petitions I can, join causes, network if I think I can make a difference.
... but IF you really read and let the words your "friend" typed in front of it sink in....it can be concerning.
This is what I find alarming yet see it every single day in defense of animals:
"Lose that nasty collar or put it around your throat and have someone tighten it up. I bet you won't put it on for fear of hurting yourself. No dog deserves this."
"if i got my hands on the bastard who did this i would make them suffer, scum like that should be shot"
"whoever did this give me 1 min with them ill break both his fu arms may u rot in hell take those pliers to his balls"I'd like to think our society has more compassion than the need for this type of vengeance. Animal abuse and cruelty is never okay, in fact some say it's a sign of sociopathic behavior that can ultimately transfer to humans, if there already doesn't exist a history of abuse.
Maybe I'm too much of a rescuer? Maybe I have too much sympathy for others? I don't sympathize with a murderer, a rapist or an animal abuser, but does "torturing" them, murdering them or raping them (in return) solve the issues at hand?
I chose to remain fairly silent through the closure and dissolution of my animal rescue group; a successful non-profit corporation with many devoted and dedicated volunteers. We all had strong opinions, we did not go without arguments, tears, frustrations nor anger. We were a family and that family was destroyed by the loss of all that we created. What hurt the most for me, was the ones that really weren't part of the family at all. The ones who utilized the misfortune and circumstancs of my ugly, sudden divorce to raise funds at my expense. Lies were spread. Untruths were told and believed and spread by thousands. I'm never surprised at how quick to judge and jump on the band-wagon this particular group of individuals become. I've watched many others go down in flames; some with a sad and desperate fight... others, like me, shy away from the attention knowing their own truths and walk away from the burning bridges as they watch all that they built be destroyed.
I let a lot of people down, but along that path I learned who the real friends were, not just supporters. I also learned, quite painfully, who weren't friends but users of "Julie the animal rescuer" and only needed what I offered, not an endearing value of who I was; ALL that I was.
I could have fought. Maybe I should have but I didn't. I let the chips fall where they did; some apologies came forth. Some never will.
What I struggle to understand, continually, is the venom that spouts from animal rescuers. Their words speak volumes and I understand the need, the absolute necessity to fight for those who have no voice. I get it, I do. The line that concerns me is if they really sat and read their own words is that REALLY how they feel?
I know who I am and I know what I've done. I am glad the days of cleaning kennels, medicating, training, rehablitating and rehoming are over for me. I do what I can to help yet find myself more concerned about the humans than I do the animals most days. It hurts to care. It hurts to feel helpless and hopeless. It hurts more to see the downward spiral of vengeance in human beings.
It hurts knowing I can't rescue them either.
"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is below him?"~Pierre Troubetzkoy
I tell you how I feel, but you don't care
I say tell me the truth, but you don't dare
You say love is a hell you cannot bear
And I say gimme mine back and then go there - for all I care
I got my feet on the ground
And I don't go to sleep to dream
You got your head in the clouds
And you're not at all what you seem
This mind, this body
And this voice cannot be stifled by your deviant ways
So don't forget what I told you
Don't come around, I got my own hell to raise
I have never been so insulted in all my life
I could swallow the seas to wash down all this pride
First you run like a fool just to be at my side
And now you run like a food
But you just run to hide, and I can't abide
Don't make it a big deal, don't be so sensitive
We're not playing a game anymore
You don't have to be so defensive
Don't you plead me your case, don't bother to explain
Don't even show me your face, 'cause it's a crying shame
Just go back to the rock from under which you came
Take the sorrow you gave and all the stakes you claim -
And don't forget the blame





No comments:
Post a Comment