Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pit bulls and Prostitution

Let me clarify.

1. I have never been paid to perform sexual acts (unless that's how you define marriage, then I've done that, twice)
2. I have never pole danced professionally despite what Shorty Rossi might say to me in public in front of a large crowd.  I didn't say I hadn't "publicly" I said "professionally".
3. I did pose for Playboy and I'm not blogging about that today.

Now that that's cleared up back to my topic.

It's not very often that people get the chance to tell large corporations, like Nike & Burger King, where to shove it but that's kind of my job. That's what I do you see.

I am work in public relations, social media specifically these days, and I advocate for causes that I believe in not simply the ones I am hired to speak for, there is a level of authenticity here. I'm just very fortunate that I get to do both at this point in my life.

I made this happen, yes, me.  Okay, okay, FINE, I realize I work for a celebrity and had I called and asked my reporter friend pitch to the news station that "Joe Schmoe" wanted to go public with a boycott of a major fast food chain they MAY not have jumped as quickly as they did at this opportunity.  The point is, by bringing this to said celebrity's attention and jumping on this opportunity, we had two major corporations on the phone the next morning and the ad was pulled.  Shorty almost lost his job over this but this story went viral right after it hit the ten o'clock news as the lead story in the little town I reside that most people refer to as San Diego. My boss still remains gainfully employed as he enters the filming of his fifth season this month.


See full article on The Consumerist














I try not to put my foot in my mouth but I have on occasion... okay fine, OFTEN.  Passion comes with a price so I guess what one has to determine for themselves is the price one is willing to pay.  So what exactly is my price?

My resume looks pretty good. I suppose I could hire a head-hunter and get out there and really prostitute myself to have more, well a lot more, money than we have now.

When I needed to work again, after nine years of at-home mom duties, I tried not to panic. I sat down and wrote. I wrote out my commitments and my goals, maybe a few dreams too, but we needed money and fast.  Bummer that the economy and job market would take a synchronistic dive right along side my leap into single motherhood.  Oh well, time to get creative. But what mattered to me?  More importantly what mattered to our FAMILY?  I vowed, if not to my ex-husband but to our children, that I would be an at-home mom. You don't really get paid to do that now do you?  I sold everything that had a market value; my bike, my watch, antiques, my diamonds, my gold, my furniture, the dog kennels, pawned my wardrobe collection of too-expensive-to-mention designer brands, my custom wedding ring that I designed myself.

I miss my bike the most.

I cut back on my expenses until I couldn't cut back anymore. I took in boarders and roommates. I begged for favors. I bartered anything that could be bartered.

I sit here today having created a job that enables me to work while at home continuing to raise twin teenagers and one busy ten year old.  As fate would have it through the hundreds of pictures I post of my children, through a mutual friend of a mutual friend I was contacted by a photographer who wanted to shoot my child.  It's not every day that someone offers to shoot your child but hell, I'm a good mom so I said yes. The whirlwind that would transpire from that photo shoot is for another day and another blog.

What is the point I'm trying to make here? I had a point when I started...

Oh okay, I know.  So many times my brain hurts from over-scheduling. Funny thing is that chaos can ensue at any time while having a child in the business.  We can go from a normal, routine day of schoolwork, riding scooters, doing laundry to rushing up to Los Angeles for a callback cause someone like, let's say Nike, wants to use my child but they need to see him one more time to be sure. This is where I return to the question 'at what cost?'  My son has a dream which is to be on television and I've had to admit to myself through years of watching him perform and booking after booking after booking that his dream is not a long shot.  His career is not about money, it's about having a child who appears to be destined for something that quite possibly is within his reach.  The truth of the matter is, at the end of each month, he financially breaks even. Yes he has a nice little nest-egg building but no one on this end can quit their day-job, yet.

Anyway, back to my point.

I try, key word TRY, to live a life of balance.  All three of my children participate in extra-curricular activities that focus on their personal gifts, talents and areas of interest.  Each of my children were blessed with their own individual passions.  Balancing those passions as well as something that resembles a 'normal family life' sometimes requires one to say no because other plans were already made and commitments aren't meant to be canceled. Sometimes you have to say "no, thank you" to Nike.

pros·ti·tute
n.
1. One who solicits and accepts payment for sex acts.
2. One who sells one's abilities, talent, or name for an unworthy purpose.
ad·vo·cate 
v.

1. a person who upholds or defends a cause; supporter
2. a person who intercedes on behalf of another

No comments:

Post a Comment