Intuition, Instinct, Gut Feelings. Do you ignore them? Do you listen to them? Rhetorical questions of course but something to think about. So when I think about a topic, I don't presume to know much so I read and read and read til I feel satisfied that I've learned something, anything even if it's a new word. That's where I found this article: Monitor Your Inner Voice
My gut was right on. That didn't stop me though from quickly moving down a To-Do list and checking things off one by one, making my best effort to get things handled and make sure I had everything covered for the day I knew I'd have to have handled in order to fulfill a commitment. I got right up to the point of filling out the form online and figured I'd live without the additional $200 expense I was about to eat and, as long as the kids had their rides and activities handled, I could invest thirty hours in myself in order to immediately accept the position being offered to me.... well kinda. It sounds like they want to hire me but the job requires 40 units of college (which I have, just don't have copies of the transcripts yet that take 7-10 days to get back from the university). I jumped through all the hoops to make it happen - a lot of hoops I might add - and was prepared to commit to this investment in my future.
But my gut kept nagging me; something just wasn't quite right but I needed to make a decision - fast. Fast as in I had two more hours to register for this training.
I took the leap and went with my gut. My gut said not to be that far away from the kids. My gut said not to push my finances to their limits. My gut said "breathe."
Woman's intuition, mother's intuition, just plain old intuition; it's there for a reason. Use it Julie, use it.So I did. I took a risk and emailed the company that asked me to take the course to expedite the hiring process and told them with all the confidence I could must that "I have opted to wait for my transcripts to return from CSU in lieu of taking this course. I will let you know as soon as I have those in my hands, hopefully in time for the positions that need to be filled." I leaped.
But that leap may cost me the perfect job.
Fast forward 24 hours although I was confident in following my gut and the decision that lead me to just get on with my week as it had been previously planned. The news came in about noon. The ride I had arranged for my three kids at two different campuses had an emergency; her son had dislocated his shoulder and had to be run over to the emergency room, could I pick up her son from school when I got Lucas?
Call it a coincidence, which is the most likely scenario. Had I been sitting in a classroom with my cell phone turned off I would have never received that message. My kids would be waiting at their school for over two hours.
It doesn't matter if it was a premonition of "bad" things or just not feeling totally comfortable relying on others to help me out (yet). Truth is, I was needed at home and was glad I was home to be there for my children.
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” Albert Einstein
I sit here tonight still staying true to my values of being mom first and try very hard not to waiver from these (what I consider) gifts. But truth is I'm still trying to figure out what job will meet the needs of this five year plan... and fast before we spiral into debt (again).
Call me stubborn but the worst thing I can do in my life is to let these kids down so I'll repeat my mantras, as I do daily, aloud in the mirror:
Memories over money.
Memories over money.
People over things.
People over things.
I trust you Julie.
I love you Julie.
And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loud
And I know that you'll use them, however you want to





Always trust your gut. I've had those moments where something big was planned and my gut said, "Don't go." I listened to my gut and something else took place in that timeframe - something that I needed to be present for. Some may call our "gut" intuition, or our subconscious speaking to us; perhaps it's the Universe, Divine Intervention, or Guardian Angels. Regardless of what it is, or what it is called, our guts are usually right.
ReplyDelete