Yes, yes it would. Or if people were like Pinocchio or Jiminy Cricket for that matter.
"I cannot tell a lie." ~George Washington
Did George really tell Martha that that dress looked fabulous? Or did he just remain quiet? If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all...? Maybe that saying belongs to George too.
And then there's the me that writes ecards as my form of cathartic, emotionally confused outlet. Great for VagueBooking but you can't imagine the depth and amount of anxiety that provides the creative juices to bust out these short quips.
Trust me. Why? Why should I trust someone? Why should someone trust me? Those are rhetorical for the purposes of this blog session.
trust nounWhat stands out to me in the definition above: Trustworthiness is archaic.
1 a : assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something
b : one in which confidence is placed
2 a : dependence on something future or contingent : hope
b : reliance on future payment for property (as merchandise) delivered : credit
3 a : a property interest held by one person for the benefit of another
b : a combination of firms or corporations formed by a legal agreement; especially : one that reduces or threatens to reduce competition
4 archaic : trustworthiness
5 a (1) : a charge or duty imposed in faith or confidence or as a condition of some relationship (2) : something committed or entrusted to one to be used or cared for in the interest of another
Let me sit with that for a minute...
They're just talking about the use of the word, right? Character, confidence, strength; all familiar words, all qualities I am trying to instill in my children.So where does the truth get thrown out the window? Saving face? The risk of loss? Not wanting to bother? For fear of hurting someone's feelings? For the fear of hurting your own? For fear of facing some truth you're not quite ready to deal with? (Again, all rhetorical. I'm doing that thing I do called "thinking too much.")
I am a horrible liar. Pathetic at even the whitest of lies.
Honesty is the best policy. Damn right, Aesop. Then let the chips fall where they may.
My daughter sings this song frequently and tonight, I took a moment to actually listen to the lyrics. She changes the words a little bit, if you know what I mean...



No comments:
Post a Comment